Monday, September 26, 2011

Up In The Air

Before heading over to Dufferin Grove Park for some Circus In the Park fun in the sunshine, I passed by Kensington Market for a bit of Pedestrian Sunday. In front of Wanda's Pie In the Sky cafe, Mr. Rick and the Biscuits entertained the crowd with some rockabilly.

The Circus In The Park group has grown since it started. The circus performers with their silks and trapeze, and the acro-yogis with their mats are now joined by the University of Toronto Engineering Juggling Club (although not everyone is a U of T student or member). They are quite good, better than most buskers. While I can only manage 3 balls for a short period, they are tossing up to 5 balls , clubs, rings, and even partner exchanges. Most are also proficient at contact juggling. Even better, they have slack-lines.

As the end of summer draws to a close, I'm happy to note I am now a slack-liner, if only a beginner. A light-bulb went off this afternoon, and I can finally balance on the line. I don't last more than 10 secs and can take at most 3-4 steps, but finally some progress. It's a shame the season is over, I'm tempted to get my own to get a bit more practice before the snow arrives.

No comments: