Saturday, July 16, 2011

Soul Music

2 Fridays ago, I attended a massive Motown party. This Friday, the next installment of A Soul (a tribute to soul music) took place at Holy Oak. The band was smaller but no less funky. The crowd was more reserved but by the end, everybody was dancing. This on-going gig is introducing me to lots of great old-school music. The bassist did a couple of groovy tunes including "Let's Straighten It Out" (Benjamin Latimore). As usual, Maylee Todd blew people's head off with such gems as "I Was Made To Love Her" (Stevie Wonder) and "If I Were Your Woman" (Gladys Knight and the Pips). Her performance was so outstanding that the tiny place demanded an encore and got "Yes We Can Can" (Pointer Sisters).

Between sets, I had a chat with Maylee. Not surprisingly, to find time for band practice and do tours, musicians have to work at jobs with flexible schedule. Along with Otouto and Tuuli, it reminded me that this is not something you do unless you love it; and even then, you'll probably end up with memories, not riches.

No comments: