Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Songsmith

One of my favourite singer, Basia Bulat, was up for a Best New Artist at the Junos this year. She lost out to a singer from Halifax named Meaghan Smith. Ever since then, I have wanted to see this "rival" in concert. Ms. Smith was on a cross-Canada tour that landed at the Rivoli in Toronto Saturday night.

I showed up at 9:30 and caught the last few songs of opening act Ian Kelly. This was a surprise, they actually started on time. I might have shown up earlier if I had known. The second surprise was the cabaret-style seating. In my opinion, this is the worst way to set up a venue because it wastes so much space. In fact, late comers like myself were crammed into the back though a lot of room could be made available. In any case, I made my way up to the front and side by the time Meaghan came on.

A touring band of two, Meaghan Smith and her husband Jason Mingo, were celebrating their 6th year anniversary that night. She was an engaging performer, regaling us with anecdotes that gave a back-story to her songs. There was the fiance who made a better rakish boyfriend than spouse ("If You Ask Me", "Take Me Dancing"); the friend-turned-love-interest who didn't show up to their first date ("Soft Touch") - don't worry, she met Jason 3 months after that; the convict boyfriend that broke out of prison and came to her place ("You Got Out"); and an reminiscence of a childhood love ("A Little Love"). She didn't just sing about failed romances though: a love song to her stoic grandfather ("I Know"); a lament to an old friend ("Drifted Apart"); a thank-you to her husband for encouraging and supporting her when she decided to quit her job as an animator ("Poor"); and a plea to her parents from her younger self about her early bedtime ("5 More Minutes").

It was an intimate setting for a confessional singer/guitar-player who had some nice turns of phrase. Jason made an excellent backup on his guitar, supplying the bass, the driving beat, and lead solos. It was like spending an evening in the home of a talented friend. I was impressed enough to pick up her debut CD "The Cricket's Orchestra".

The CD was a mixed bag. Some songs retained their lyricism. But for numerous others, instead of something similar to her stripped down performance, they were recorded in the old-timey style of a 1920s flapper Jazz arrangement: wah-wah cornets and saxes, oompa-loompa bass, etc. Her voice and style doesn't match this period and the artifice almost buries her lyrics. For me, I prefer the modern arrangement of her songs. I think she's that rare performer where I actually don't want to see her with a full band.

Back to Basia. How does Meaghan compare? Interestingly, though she grew up in Halifax, she was born and spent some time in London, Ont. Both Basia Bulat and Olenka (of Olenka and the Autumn Lovers) also lived in London for a period. Something in the water? I like Meaghan's music and will follow her. But I feel that there is a timeless quality to Basia's songs, as if they came down the generations as folk tunes.

No comments: