Saturday, October 15, 2011

Yu Zoo

I have heard good things about venerable the Izakaya joint Ematei, tucked away north of Queen on tiny St. Patrick, from both written critics and word-of-mouth. On Friday, I finally decided to check it out. Apparently, a lot of people already knew about this gem as there was a 40-min wait for a spot.

So I made my way down to Yuzu on Adelaide. I didn't enjoy myself on my last visit. The food was a step-up from the usual all-you-can-eat-sushi, but I felt it wasn't a good deal for the price. On Friday night, it was completely full, which was a different that my previous experiences here. The vibe was a lot more lively, but the food ultimately disappointed again.

Everything was good, but there was always something slightly off about the dishes. The oysters was a bit too fishy; with one having gritty particles like sand. The duck gyoza was tasty, but sometimes bits of gristle and cartilage were left behind. The grilled black cod was the sole standout. Finally, the chef's plate had quite good sushi and maki, but the fish didn't quite have the flavourful and juiciness of stand-out sushi. Better than a Japanese buffet for sure, but for $84 I expected more.


No comments: