Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hurry Soft

Rustic decor
At this year's company Curling event, I did better than last year though everyone was still mostly a bunch of stumbling amateurs. For one thing, I didn't bruise up my knee blue and green slamming it into the ice. For another, I scored a couple of points to help our team to victory.

On my way home, I noticed that the strip plaza at 1310 Dundas St. E (Mississauga) had a tiny Korean restaurant named Soft Tofu. Upon entering, I found out it was actually called Song's Cook and was significantly bigger on the inside. The large space was divided into smaller rooms with wooden frames and room dividers. Fake support beams suggest a rustic tavern.

The clientele was exclusively Korean which was a good sign. There were numerous dishes that I've never seen at Korean restaurants as well as the typical Bi Bim Bap. But since they were mostly fried I opted for the healthier grilled spanish mackerel appetizer ($6) and a bowl of seafood soon tofu ($6) with a side of rice ($2). The mackerel was a 2 large pieces of fish nicely grilled. In fact, it and the rice dish (plus complementary kim chi) would have been sufficient. The tofu soup had generous amount of seafood for $6: 5 clams, 1 oysters, 1 large unshelled shrimp, and several pieces of squid and regular shrimp. The tofu itself was only average, but it was a filling main.
Spanish Mackerel
Seafood Tofu

This restaurant has lots of interesting dishes, most of which are reasonably priced. It would make a good lunch spot or a quick bite after work. There is another location in North York.

No comments: