Monday, February 6, 2023

Scrying In H-Mart

On the way back from my grocery run on Saturday, I noticed the Korean chain H-Mart near Yonge and Bloor. I didn't know they were even in Toronto; my go-to store is PAT Central in Little Korea. But I wanted to see if there was any room left in my luggage before I return. Turning down Isabella St., I saw some young people with their parents unloading furnishings from a car. I guess they were taking a stab at big-city living. Yonge St. does have a Manhattan vibe, especially since with its incline you can see the cityscape all the way to The Financial District. I prefer the Brooklyn feel of West-end areas like Bloorcourt or Brockton.

I went back to the store in the early evening. It was likely smaller than other locations in the U.S., but still packed with many Korean foodstuff. The clientele was a mix of Asians and white (K-Pop fans?) people, all in their early 20s. I got some sale items: Vegan dumplings (2 bags for $10.99) and Bibigo Kimchi ($7.99). The H-Mart was next to the famous strip club The Brass Rail and a quick-eat Vietnamese place called Ginger. That brought back some memories. In the early aughts, I usually ate at the latter on Saturday after an afternoon matinee at the movies. The dancers next-door would come in grab something for dinner. Non-regulars were often surprised seeing very attractive and provocatively dressed women dropping by to pick up their take-out. Once both businesses are sold to developers, Yonge St. will lose even more of its quirks and charms.

None of the ready-to-eat meals at H-Mart appealed to me. In any case, it has been cold and snowing, so something with warm broth seemed appropriate. Just a few blocks south was a Sansotei Ramen location. It has been opened since 2013, apparently outlasting its competitor Kenzo Ramen. The Shoyu ramen with extra toppings Black Fungus and Shiitake ran $18 (compared to $8.90 back in the day). It was rich and fragrant, perfect for the recent weather. I didn't like the noodles at Sansotei a decade ago, but now I had the choice of thick or thin. Thick was the right pick because its toothsomeness provided a great chew.

I thought about going to an installment of Long Winter. This musical/arts series was taking place at The Tranzac, a smaller venue than their heydays at The Great Hall. After a long hiatus, I did attend again in March 2020 just before the pandemic shutdown. But the prospect of an early bedtime won out over the cold and 20-minute sets from indie bands.

No comments: