Friday, April 2, 2021

Go, Man, Go

Around this time of year, I sometimes snag a box of kesar or alphonso mangos flown in from India. It was a revelation the first time I ate these superior cultivars. But the stores that carry these are near my work-place and I have been working from home during the pandemic. So when I found out via Instagram that a NoFrills at Bathurst and Wilson carried 6 types of mangos, I hopped onto the 7 Bathurst northbound on Monday to check it out.

Last summer, I had gone as far as St. Clair to visit Cedarvale. Although this area had a strong Jewish presence, it wasn't really visible. But as the bus headed further north, synagogues, kosher shops, Jewish schools and businesses became more prominent. However, this road was so car-centric that it didn't feel like a distinct neighbourhood (compared to Koreatown or Little Italy) until I saw Hasidic men wearing shtreimel.

As the bus neared Wilson, I saw more and more Filipino businesses. Then I was finally here at the supermarket. Looking over the mango selection, I ignored the ubiquitous but pedestrian ataulfo as well as the sour green mango. I finally selected red mango (another cheap variety), spice, sweet, and juli. But the helpful cashier informed me that my sweet mangos were actually ataulfo that were mixed in and to double-check the sticker next time. So I ended up with only 2 new types as I have also eaten spice mangos before: a slight let-down for my trip.

For years, I had heard about the great Filipino food around Wilson. Since I was now here, I took a look around. There was Kabalen which I was told had incredible chicken adobo. But although 2 men were outside barbecuing pork and chicken, I only saw a selection of food-court-style ready-to-go dishes inside. The same was true of the other eateries in that strip-mall. I didn't end up trying any food.

No comments: