Sunday, June 25, 2017

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Friday night, I was at Massey Hall for another Live at Massey Hall. Tonight, two indie performers took the stage with new albums. First up was The Wooden Sky. This group indie-folk vibe was a bit of rock, a lot of americana, and just a slight touch of country. I thought when they went acoustic or alternately hard, it was more interesting that the dull middle-ground. The headliner was east-coaster Jenn Grant. She has gone more pop, though her indie roots were still apparent. I only stayed for a few songs in her set, though I liked her stuff more, because I didn't feel like sitting tonight.

Luckily, just down the block was the cure for moody indie. The Pride organizers have brought in 70s disco in the form of Boney M. I arrived just as their cover of Sonny was winding down. After that, the packed crowd (and myself) danced non-stop for the next hour with hits like Brown Girl In The Ring, Bahama Mama, Ma Baker, and of course Rasputin. There was a bit of cheesy nostalgia: I can't remember another show where, for an encore, the band sang a megamix of all the songs they had just done! But it was all in genuine fun and a much more diverse crowd than the other show.

No comments: