Saturday, December 31, 2016

Cat and Cow

While on holiday in Ottawa, I have been visiting Pure Yoga studio to try and minimize the Yuletide pounds. It's larger and better furnished than almost any studio in Toronto, probably because an equivalent space in Hogtown would cripple the owner in rent. On Friday, I decided to reward myself with lunch after a noon-hour class.

With a few exceptions, Ottawa hasn't done a great job of keeping its old buildings and neighbourhoods, Parliament Hill notwithstanding. So even trendy shops (and ethnic restaurants) have trouble finding spaces to gentrify. But there was room for a handful in the block between Catherine and Gladstone on Bank St.

Talay Thai was tastefully furnished with dark, wooden tables and Asian décor. Looking over the lunch menu, I chose the chicken panang ($9.95). The red curry was nicely presented and the flavour play was subtle but distinctive. This was a good, light touch on a dish that is usually lazily done nowadays.

Then I walked up the block to Moo Shoo Ice Cream. Newspaper articles about evening line-ups reminded me of several such dessert places in Toronto. In the middle of winter, there were no such crowd but there were a few customers in the tiny spot. I got 2 scoops ($5): strawberry and yuzu. The former's flavour was almost non-existent but the latter was strong and bold. But overall, they were a bit too crumbly and gritty for me (with bits of frozen ice). I prefer my ice cream smooth and rich. Since I did not pick the vegan options, I want more dairy in my treats.

No comments: