Saturday, September 24, 2016

Learn How To Fly

Friday night, I went down to Yonge-Dundas Square for the Walk of Fame Festival. Throughout the week, various venues in Toronto had concerts (both paid and free) celebrating established artists as well as promsing newcomers. By what criteria? Beats me. There were also art exhibits and other events.

I made it in time to see one of my favourite band: The Balconies. They've been keeping a low profile since their last release a few years back. Tonight, they showcased all new material off their upcoming album: Rhonda. To be honest, I'm on the fence about this new direction. They've always straddled the line between radio-friendly rock and spiky indie, but sparked by wild-eyed antics of lead singer Jacquie Neville, there was energy in their jangly chords and driving rhythm. The new songs have sanded off that interesting edge.

A bit let-down, I didn't feel like staying around but decided to listen to one or two songs from the head-liner Zeus. What a pleasant surprise. Full of 60s-esque harmony and chords combined with indie wit and humour, both their old and new stuff were dance-able and fun.

No comments: