Monday, August 24, 2015

Welcome Back Otter

I haven't been going a lot of new restaurants lately, but I have been visiting some old favourites. On Friday, I dropped by The Fish Store on College. Usually I opt for the rice dish, but today I ordered the fish sandwich ($10.95). The last time I ate one was in the dead of winter. It was nicer to sit on the patio (which is bigger than the restaurant) and have my pickerel. It was a tasty couple of bites, but I have to admit it wasn't quite as filling as the purple rice.

On Sunday I went to Isshin Ramen. The weather has cooled down but I haven't eaten cold ramen this summer so I thought I'd give theirs a try. Their take on this dish was a vegetarian option called Lemon Shio ($13.80). It was a yellowish broth, upon which floated a circle of thin lemon slices. There was also salty tofu, wood ear mushroom, bamboo, and their twisty ramen noodles. The whole thing had a tanginess which I'm on the fence about. I miss the tender char siu pork; if you're going to replace the meat, you should pile on the veggies.

No comments: