Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pizza In The Park

Friday Evening, I went to Christie Pits Park for some pizza to benefit the Homegrown National Park initiative. The park's outdoor wood oven was used to bake the pizza. Volunteers were busy rolling out personal pizzas ($5) and grilling corn ($1). The all-cheese pizza with its cheese coming from giant yellow bags of No-Name cheese didn't appeal so I opted for the veggie version which had vegetables provided by Fresh City Farm.

I would have wanted some corn too, but they ran out. In fact, shortly after my purchase, they stopped taking orders all-together. The take-away: come early to reduce your wait time and for more generous toppings. It was obvious they were trying to stretch the remaining ingredients to make them last. I also had to wait about 30 minutes for my pie.

Luckily, I got it just as local band Hands & Teeth started their acoustic set. Though I'd probably get more bang for my buck even at a pizza franchise, I did enjoy biting into fresh, piping hot baked dough. Hands & Teeth has gone to a harder, rock sound, but their multi-part harmonies translated well to just guitar and voice, with some percussion from shaker and tambourine. It was a fun short set, but not as gorgeous as the one they played at now-defunct Of A Kind record/clothing store. But then that show had 4-part harmonies and a foot-pumped mini organ.

No comments: