Sunday, March 3, 2013

Combination Fatter

New expansion
Banjara, an Indian restaurant at the edge of Christie Pits, has been around for years. I came to it early on just after it had moved into an old Coffee Tim (no mistake). I was surprised at the quality, as it seemed to be a re-incarnation of Mr Maharaja. The latter was found in a little strip of eateries on Balmuto behind the Uptown Theatre, a cinema that had its roof collapsed in the early aughts. It was also one of the only Indian restaurant I've been to that gave me and my friends the dreaded Delhi belly.

No such issues at Banjara, which makes consistently tasty Indian. I finally settled on the thaali as my go-to: a huge platter of Daal Curry (lentils), Aloo Gobi (potatoes and cauliflower), Veggie Pakoras, rice, rice pudding, naan and your choice of one other item on the menu. At $9.99-$11.95 (lunch prices), it's the best deal in town. The portions are so huge, it really is two meals.

Thaali platter
So every Sunday for lunch, I ordered the combination platter, made my way through all the menu items, and have leftovers for a weekday lunch. I finally stopped after I realized I was probably digging a (delicious) hole to an early grave of heart disease. I now limit myself to a visit perhaps every 8-10 weeks.

The restaurant has found great success and a second location opened a few years back at Yonge and Eglinton. On Saturday, for my occasional visit, I noticed that the Christie Pits location has also grown. They have lengthened out the patio and added a roof. The glass partitions inside the original space have also been removed. They even found a nook to add 2 more tables. With the expansion, the total capacity has doubled to about 80.

The thaali, this time with a lamb and spinach curry, was as filling and rich as always. And more than enough food to carry over to Monday.

No comments: