Sunday, February 3, 2013

Can't Talk, Eating.

A few weeks ago, as I made my way from Sabai Sabai, I passed a Japanese restaurant with a line-up outside. Given the current Toronto's obsession, it could only be another ramen joint. This Saturday, I went back to try Hokkaido Ramen Santouka, a franchise from the epynomous province, started by its owner after seeing cult movie Tampopo.

If you arrive after 12:30 pm, prepare to wait. Luckily, I got in just under the clock. I ordered Torinuku Miso Ramen ($15.90) and an extra soft-boiled egg ($1.60). Most of the variation had the bowl pre-made, but this order had the ingredients sitting in a side dish for you to add to your steaming bowl. And what a delicious collection: soft, mouth-watering braised pork cheeks (generous at 8 slices), crunchy "black fungus" mushrooms, slightly tart bamboo shoots, and an egg  that was wonderfully runny inside. As for the ramen: rich, fragrant broth and yellow ramen with excellent chew.

I've tried almost every ramen eatery in town. This was perfect ramen. The only caveat: don't think about how much sodium you're ingesting to get all that deliciousness, and have a glass of water on hand for the last 3rd of the bowl. The saltiness does build up because you'll be slurping the bowl dry.

No comments: