Sunday, December 9, 2012

That's What She Said

Baeckeoffe
It hasn't been a cold winter, but with a slight nip in the air, I decided to head to Baldwin street to Elle M'a Dit for some Alsatian fare. For appetizers, I got the tarte flambee House smoked trout ($12). On slices of very thin, almost cracker-like, baked dough, there were mildly flavoured smoked trout, fennel confit, preserved lemon, and dill. I liked that the trout was not overpowering and the fennel and dill added a herbal touch. I would have preferred more tartness from the lemon.

The french onion soup ($9) was classic: gooey cheese, thick, broth-soaked bread, and flavourful soup. But like most restaurants, the portion was simply too large. I was almost full by the time I finished. For the main dish, I ordered Baeckeoffe ($19), an Alsatian meat casserole. The combination of beef, lamb, and pork was delicious. But there was less than expected, with the bulk of the dish comprising of potatoes slices. These had a tangy after-taste that wore out its welcome after a few bites. Overall, a disappointing dish.
Smoked Trout Tarte Flambee
French Onion Soup

No comments: