Saturday, September 22, 2012

How Time Flies

On Friday, the 25-piece Motown cover band The Big Sound celebrated their 1-year anniversary, and 7th show, at The Great Hall. At previous shows, I spent my time right up against the stage. But tonight, I decided to be up on the balcony looking over the masses. With 500 people crammed into the venue, it was a throbbing pack that danced and clapped the whole night. For local musicians who have not yet gained wider exposure, it must be a thrill to perform to this larger audience.

From the first song, This Old Heart Of Mine to the last number, River Deep, Mountain High, the band played with energy and fun blasting through 20 tunes. Unlike last time, where they covered less well-known tunes, they kept pumping out the hits like Tears of A Clown, Superstition, and You're All I Need To Get By. But they did sneak in less familiar songs: Clapping Song and Knock On My Door. The stand-out song of the evening was Tanika Charles' emotional and powerful take on Otis Redding's I've Been Loving You Too Long. The hooting, hollering, and cheering started 3 minutes in and grew until the final note.

Set List:
This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) - Aria Zenua
Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Andre Edwards-Roderique
Come On Do The Jerk - Drew Smith
Clapping Song - Maylee Todd
Nowhere To Run - Tanika Charles
Knock On My Door - Aria
Tears Of A Clown - Drew
You're All I Need To Get By - Maylee Todd & Gary Beals
Reach Out (I'll Be There) - Gary
Come See About Me - Allie Ho-Sang
Tell Mama - Maylee
Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While) - Aria
You Can't Hurry Love - Allie
Stubborn Kind Of Fellow - Drew
I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Aria
Superstition - Andre
Twenty Five Miles - Gary
I Want You Back - Maylee
River Deep, Mountain High - Tanika

No comments: