Friday, March 30, 2012

Spirited Away

The TIFF Bell Lightbox has been showing a retrospective on Studio Ghibli: the Japanese studio responsible for My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Monomoke and other anime classics. The evening shows are subtitled while the daytime shows are dubbed (for "family-friendly viewing"). Though I used to be a subtitled-purist, I have been going to the daytime shows.

The movies are wonderful though the dubbing is average, compared to other language dubs (for example, the typically superior French). The North American dub (and the general animated movie genre) tend to fail in 2 areas. Instead of using professional voice actors, celebrity voices are employed. These stars may be good performers (for the most part), but that doesn't necessarily translate to voice work. Sometimes their recognizable voices are also distracting. Second, with Japanese anime, North American dubs try to inject more one-liners, punchlines, and snarky comments. Presumably because these are considered "kids movies" and we need to add something to keep the parents' interest. This type of comedy doesn't typically work with the tone of the movie and furthermore, it makes you aware that you are not hearing a faithful translation.

These morning viewings have also given me the chance to eat lunch at various spots in the neighbourhood. Of particular interest is that I've finally asked for "Thai spicy" (a secret level not included by the waitstaff to customers) for my pad thai from Khao San Road. Previously, I found even spicy was a bit mild. I was taken back at the visible specks of chili in the noodles, something you never see in any Westernized restaurants. "What have I gotten myself into?" But no worries, it was still a couple of levels below my limit so it provided a delicious, but not overwhelming, kick to the dish. Note that there is also "Extreme Thai spicy".

No comments: