Sunday, May 11, 2014

Good Court

Catering to the students from OCAD and the surrounding neighbour, the fare in the mini-mall inside the Grange is primarily fast-food. But there are a couple of exceptions. So I'm always glad to return to Manpuku, a little Japanese diner. The word has gotten around, and even for an early Saturday lunch, the place is packed. However, the staff here is smart enough to let the overflow sit out in the food court after ordering, and will actually bring the food out.

Though they started as an Udon place, their menu is fairly extensive. I'm always surprised to see the items I haven't tried. I ordered perenially favourite Tsukichi udon ($5.49) and Tsubugayaki ($5.99). The udon was the basic seaweed variety but they added some fish cakes and a fried egg, done sunny side up. I enjoyed the fact that their broth was lighter on the sodium than the ramen noodle houses. The second order was a variation on the fried dough stuffed with octopus. In this case, it was clam. The menu claimed also shrimp but I couldn't detect any. A little too aggressive with the green onions, but also a tasty dish. As always, I left satisfied with a nice cheap lunch.

No comments: