Friday, November 26, 2010

November Rain

On a cold, drizzly Thursday evening, I went down to the Horseshoe Tavern to listen to a couple of indie folk bands, mostly because I wanted to pick up Olenka's first CD as I am quite enjoying her sophomore disc. First up was Olenka but no Autumn Lovers. She did a good job holding down the fort as a solo but it wasn't quite as good without the full band. It's hard to get some crowd excitement given the melancholic nature of her music but sometimes she turns her performance too inward and low-key. On a couple of songs, a few members of the head-lining Wilderness of Manitoba came on-stage to add some backing vocals, a cello, a banjo, or some electric guitar. Her eponymous CD is yielding some nice tunes.

Next up is a plaid-shirted, bearded troubadour name Leif Vollebekk. With his slight frame, he is more of a grunge 90s throwback than a tough lumberjack. Following the tradition of Neil Young and Bob Dylan, whom he both re-interprets in 2 cover songs, he sings confessional songs such as Don't Go To Klaksvik and Quebec. His debut EP 'Inland' has generated some buzz. His sensitive style seems to resonate with the pre-dominantly female audience that showed up for his set.

I was going to stay for Wilderness of Manitoba, a countrified Mamas and Papas group that I saw opened for Basia Bulat. But the chilly evening and soporific mood put me in a drowsy state. I decided to grab the streetcar home before I fell asleep at the bar.

No comments: