Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Basia I Knew

I was ecstatic over a hamburger I ate at The Gourmet Burger Co. on Parliament before Christmas. I returned this past Saturday and was sadly underwhelmed. Better than fast food, yet not quite justifying the $7 tag. It may have been an off day. On the other hand, the previous time I was feeling jittery from a tasting contest of 24 desserts from amateur chefs. So maybe at the time, a nice hit of oil and salt was what my body craved.

A much more pleasant discovery was the singer Basia Bulat at Trinity St.Pauls. A singer with a warbling hitch to her voice, kind of like a slightly countrified Tracy Chapman. Whether being backed by her 5 member band (her drummer brother provides the propulsive beat for her more uptempo new songs) or singing solo, she sings (and writes) great songs. I was impressed enough to pick up her 2007 CD "Oh, My Darling". I wanted her new album, too. After all, it was a CD-prelease party. Unfortunately, she only brought 100 which were all snapped up thanks the appreciative sold-out crowd. A longer review with some tracks.

Here are some youtube clips of some songs from "Oh, My Darling". Her voice, and songs, have only gotten richer since then. The first video is taken from her singing a cappella at the end of her show at Trinity-St.Paul's.

Spiritual/Gospel Song:


Before I Knew:


Little Waltz:


Snakes and Ladders:

No comments: