Friday, June 11, 2021

Taco Thursday

After the stay-at-home order was lifted, I headed to Ottawa in early June to visit family. I mostly stayed home but after a week decided to venture out for some take-out food. Near the intersection of Montreal Rd and Blair, there were 3 parking lots, each with its own food truck: falafel, fries, and Mexican.

On Thursday, I dropped by Ay Dios Mio Tacos for lunch. Looking over the tacos options (and a few burritos), I settled on the Carne Asada Combo ($14.50).

As I sat on a picnic bench waiting for my order, I pondered about the area. Like most neighbourhoods in Ottawa, especially along the main streets, it was a car-heavy and rather bleak stretch of road. Right next to the food truck was Laurier Manor. This nursing home was one of the worst hit during the pandemic. Across the street sat the Beacon Hill Motel. Although given the number of people with chairs outside, watching their children play in the parking lot, it probably housed more long-term residents than overnight visitors.

The crazy thing was that hidden in this area was one of the richest neighbourhood in the city. Rothwell Heights stretched north of Montreal Rd all the way to the Ottawa river. Curvy crescents and cul-de-sac contained huge homes tastefully distanced from their neighbour with large yards and mature trees. Those kids were walking distance from Quarry Park, a quiet oasis sitting mostly unused. It reminded me of Cedarvale versus Vaughan Rd in Toronto.

The combo comprised of 4 tacos and a drink. The shells were good but the toppings were bland and lacked all the piquant sauces. The beef was a bit tough as well. I chose meat because I thought they might do a better job than the typically less popular fish or shrimp. With all the diners coming by during my stay there, Mio was pretty good for Ottawa. But it definitely wouldn't fare as well in Toronto.

No comments: