Sunday, July 8, 2018

Hot Tamales

I was really into street festivals way back when but I don't attend them as often. Recently, I realized I have never been to Salsa on St. Clair despite that it was 14 years old. I used to practice at a yoga studio in the area and even saw vendors setting up as I was leaving my morning class. So on Saturday, I made my way to mid-town to check it out. This stretch from Oakwood to Christie with its yuppie businesses might seemed an odd fit. But then you noticed that there are more latin and Mexican restaurants than expected.

The street was closed off with a vibrant, festive atmosphere everywhere, helped by the beautiful sunshine and warmth. There were a large number of vendors selling latin-american food and plenty of dance studios were showcasing latin dances or inviting passer-bys to join in. Unsurprisingly, many people knew how to shake a hip. After a quick meal of pulled pork ($10) and some free Takis chips sample, the highlight for me was the parade led by a group of women in full Rio Carnival costumes. How they can walk and dance in those teetering heels is beyond me.

No comments: