Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Let's Go To The Ex

It's been years since I've been to the National Exhibition for the full CNE experience, although I have gone to see live shows at the Bandshell. But I was asked by a squeamish friend to be the partner for her daughter, who was ready to graduate to the big rides at the adult Midway. So we made our way down on Labour Day Monday. Turns out the young lady was game, and certainly braver than myself at her age, even going on several upside-down rides.

Since I did the Midway, I decided I might as well go whole-hog and visit the food building as well. There have been "stunt dishes" over the last several years. I didn't read about any such offerings this year, but there was some buzz for Kanpai's ramen burger.

Apparently there has been long line-ups, but I didn't have a long wait today for the burger ($10.69) and some "durty fries" ($6.19). The fries was the better dish. Well, not the fries themselves as they were typical: gold outside, mushy inside. (Nobody seems to know how to cook fries but McDonald's). But the Japanese-inspired toppings including teriyaki butter were interesting. As for the burger, the patty was actually quite thick and juicy. The mushy ramen buns, however, didn't really add to the experience.

No comments: