Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hot Pie

Tula Yoga had move its downtown location to Adelaide St. and Peter St and was offering a week of free classes as a promotion. On Tuesday, I went to do a Hot Power Flow Level 1-2 class. I'm not a fan of hot yoga but wanted to see the space. People love free stuff so the class was packed with about 25 practitioners.

After a sweat-drenched class, my conviction about hot yoga was unchanged. Though instructions on alignment were given, people were mostly coping with the heat and perspiration to pay much attention. So there were quite a lot of poor postures over the 75-min class. Worse, the cues for for Virasana (hero pose) was entirely wrong in my opinion (and those of my long-time teachers). The instruction to slide the lower legs away from the thighs so the yogi can sit between his feet puts too much torque on the knees. Combined that with the heat allowing people to lay down right on their back ... ouch. I see a lot of joint and back injuries in the future.

As a reward, I then headed over to Pai, the new Thai restaurant in the expanding empire for the owners of Sukho Thai and Sabai Sabai. It was a busy place this early in its opening. But though there were at least 10 empty seats, and only just over 1 hour until closing time on a rainy night, apparently there was no room. I guess I'll spend my money elsewhere from now on.

I walked up Duncas St for a different kind of pie: meat ones from Kanga (Australian Meat Pie). A chicken one set me back $6.75. Though the crust was tasty, the rest was disappointing: a few bits of carrots and peas, and exactly 1 thumb-sized chicken cube. It was more of a meat tart than pie and didn't make a full meal. Though I might pay that much for an appetizer in a sit-down restaurant, I wouldn't for essentially a take-out place.

No comments: